Finding Wee Paddy
The incredible true story of one elderly Derrywoman's unwavering quest to locate and honour her uncle's long lost grave in Shanghai.
On the 24th October 1937, 25-year-old Rifleman Patrick McGowan of Londonderry was killed by fire from a Japanese aircraft in the act of carrying a young woman to safety. Private McGowan's death caused a political outcry and had far reaching international significance.
McGowan, along with 4 other Ulster Riflemen killed in further attacks, were buried in Shanghai with full military honours. However, in the years after the conflict their resting places were lost. More than 60 years later, Paddy's niece Sara Moran began a journey to find out what happened to him.
- Telling Tales Film Festival Winner, Best UK Film
- Visions Du Reel Film Festival – Official Selection
- Carmarthen Bay Film Festival - Official Selection
- Belfast Film Festival - Official Selection
- Staffordshire Film Archive - Official Selection
Dirs: Peter Roch, Jason Davidson, UK, 2017, 61 mins, Unrated